Let’s check out some goods and bads of Doordarshan and our memory power.
Most of the serials were of 13 episodes and so people were associated with character for 2-3 months and it made more concentrated and sensible serials.
- Ramayan and Mahabharat- how can we mention doordarshan without Ramayan and Mahabharat? Literally there was Curfew like situation on Sunday mornings when these two epics were telecasted. These serials made life of Arun Govil (Ram), Mukesh Khanna (Bhisma), Punit issar (duryodhan), Rupa Ganguli (Draupadi) , Dipilka(Sita) etc.. Though technically poor, these two serials created mass histeria for TV selling. People used to do pooja of TV before starting of these serials. Harish Bhimani’s voice as “main samay hoon” made great impact in Mahabharat. I liked Dara singh as Hanuman very much.
- Malgudi Days- this serial needs a separate post. Based on R K Narayan’s book, made by Shankar Naag , this serial is the best of all time serials I have ever seen. and the title theme –“taana na taana na na” I can remember it today also with R K Laxman’s sketches.
- Udaan- based on Kiran Bedi’s life, Kavita chaudhary was lead actress and serial was quite popular. Story of a girl’s journey to become an IPS officer.
- Daane Anaar Ke – one middle class family wins lottery and how behaviour of family and people related with them changes – a nice story. I can recall only Neena gupta. Perhaps Gulzar wrote the title song ”kissa hai kahaani hai paheli hai”
- Mirza Ghalib- Jab Gulzar, Jagjit singh and Naseeruddn shah saath me ho to poochna hi kya?. I was too immature to understand this serial. So not much memory associated with this serial.
- Humlog, Buniyaad- I was too small at that time, can’t remember much except Dada Moni’s speech at the end of every episode.
- Nukkad- Dilip Dhawan, khopdi, and other popular actors born with this serial. Directed by Aziz mirza this serial was quite populat at that time.
- Cartoons- Ducktales, Telespin after Chanakya at 10:30 these two cartoons were telecasted. I can recall Uncle screwz only.
- Junglebook -I can recall some characters Mowglee, Bagira, Sherkhan. Sherekhan’s voice was given by Nana Patekar and music was given by today’s genius director Vishal Bhardwaj and lyrics was by Gulzaar saab. Remember that amar song ”jungle jungle baat chali hai pataa chala hai, chaddi pehen ke phool khila hai..” Akira Kurosawa’s name was also there in titles. Don’t for what purpose.
- Stoneboy- Master Ankur was as stone boy and was living on hills and a group of students goes for picnic and then bring stone boy with them
- Sigma- a sci-fi serial based on space and space shuttles.
- Chandrakanta- started very well but lost interest after introduction of too many characters and complicated story. Shahbaaz khan and Shikha swaroop was lead actors. I can recall two names of cities”Naugadh and Vijay gadh. But serial gave fame to Kroor Singh played by Akhilendra Mishra.
- Chanakya- a truly classic serial by Dr. Chandraparakash Dwivdi (director of “Pinjar”) also made life of Pamod moutho(Villain of “Khalnayak”)
- Vikram Vetaal – again technically poor serial by Ramanad Sagar before Ramayan. But I liked lot as a child. Arun Govil played role of king Vikram
- Vyomkesh Bakshi – The best detective serial I have ever seen. Rajat kapoor( Gandhiji in Making of mahatama and seen in almost every film of Shyam Benegal like zubeida, Suraj ka saatvan ghoda, Sardar Begam) was as Vyomkesh bakshi in dhoti and kurta and K K Raina as his assistant – much much better than today’s CID.
- Talaash- This serial was based on the search of some person. Can’t remember much. But main actor was Alok Naath and directed by great Hrishikesh Mukerjee.
- Rangoli- countless Sunday mornings started with Rangoli. no song was repeated.
- Tenaliraman- Birbal of south India - played by Vijay Kashyap, had pure entertainment.
- Phir wohi talaash- directed by Lekh tendon. I can recall only Madan Jain (one of the character in Ankush) and Nilima Azim (Shahid kapur’s mother). The story was a small town boy comes to metro and falls in love with a rich and sophisticated girl. Virendra Saxena played father of Madan Jain.
- Muzrim Haajir- Nutan was lead actress and Virendra singh and Navani parihaar was introduced in this serial. serial had Bengali background and I can remember “goon goona, goon goona, goon goona re goon goona”
- Nupur- directed by Hema malini and lead actor was Sudesh Berry and had background of classical dance and music.
- Circus- when shahrukh khan was top star of TV he did this serial with Renuka Shahane. I think it was directed by Aziz Mirza. Also had lots of actors of Nukkad.
- Tipu sultan- this serial created lots of hype before its telecast and sanjay khan invested lots of money and hard work in it. Shahbaaz Khan became quite popular as Hyder Ali which bagged him a film as a hero “Naachne waale Gaane waale” directed by B. Subhash with Kadarkhan, Shakri kapoor and Shiba.
- Vishwamitra- created lots of hype as this was second serial of Mukesh khanna after Mahabharat. Bhanupriya played role of Urvashi.
- Kille ka rahasya- don’t recall much, but I used to close my eyes when a big Punja was coming closer to camera.
- 1234- a child detective serial. Can remember the song” ek do teen char, chro mikar saath chale to karde chamatkar”
- Lok lok ki baatein, Katha saagar- serials based on different stories by different writers.
- Sauda- made by B.R. chopra and story was associated with freedom movement. Can remember its title song” yeh zindagi hai ek sauda”
- Chitrahaar- evey Wednesday and Friday at 8’0 clock with dinner.
- Karamchand- Pankaj kapoor as karamchand (with carrot) and Sushmita mukerjee as kitty. directed by Pankaj Parashur.
- Jugalbandhi- after the success of karamchand this serial was started. One of the detective was Radha Sheth and other male detective can’t remember.
- Fauji- First serial of SRK which made him quite popular on TV.
- Tamash- directed by Govind Nihalani, the serial had huge starcast like ompuri, amrishpuri, deepa sahi etc. created some controvery also.
- Manzil apni apni- lead actors were Mohan bhandari and Radha sheth. a young man goes to a village to make it a better place.
- Fatichar- Pankaj Kapur as fatichar. First time I saw people leaving in huge govt. water pipes. It was humorous light comedy serial.
- Mrignayani- the story was- a king attracted by beauty of a girl. Amol palekar directed this serial and Pallavi Joshi was lead actress.
- Humraahi – this serial gave fame to Writer Manohar shyaam joshi and Himani Shivpuri. First serial having external marital affairs.
- Surbhi – first interesting and entertaining information based programme. Renuka Sahane was introduced in surbhi. Sidhdharth Kak and Renuka both were host in this programme. Renuka’s hair cut and colgate smile were quite popular. This programme created question and answer contest first time on TV.
- Guniram- story of a villager who comes to city and makes mistakes every day. Rakesh bedi played role of Guniram.
- Mr. Yogi- an NRI comes to India in search of his bride. His meeting with different girls with different backgrounds and then comedy emerges. Mohan Gokhle was Mr. Yogi and director was Ketan Mehta. I can’t forget the last episode where ice-cream was throwing in the party.
- Mungerilal ke haseen sapne- talented Raghuvir Yaadav as Mungherilal used to see dreams of a person whichever attracts him. Perhaps director was Prakash Jha.
- Kakkaji kaheen- Om puri was kakkaji. A comedy serial and kakkaji was used to laugh at the end of every sentence.
- Bharat ek khoj-based on Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru’s book “Discovery of India, directed by Shyam Benegal. I can’t recall much because serial was too heavy and I am not at that level that digest this kind of serial. In one episode Aloknath played role of Swami Vivekanand.
- Lekhu- Lekhu (mohan gokhle) is villager with tremendous talent and was used by a professor ( I think aloknath)
- Deviji- starring Annu kapoor and swaroop sampat- telecasted in afternoon.
Then there was lots of serials like Ekkai dahai sekda, Nirmala, Gaurav, Param veer chakra, Lahun ke phool, Intezaar, Dil Dariyaa, Honee Anhonee….. which were quite popular.
remember some video songs like
- Mile sur mera tumhara- almost every day this song was shown. I saw it only for the scene where AB, Jeetendra and Mithun was shown together.
- Sun sun mere nanhe sun- a video directed by subhash ghai at time of 1992 riots. It had Jackie shroff, Rajnikanth, chiranjeevi and bunch of starts popular at that time.
And at last some irritating things on doordarshan…
- The boards- “Rookavat ke liye khed hai.”
- Same old faces in the news every day. I remember some of the names like Shammy Narang , Sarla Maheswari, Salma Sultan..
- Nritya ka Akhil Bhartiya Karyakram
- Focus- a discussion programme in English based on current issues - I never seen it’s any episode but after some popular serial it was telecasted so I knew it.
So that was my memories related with Doordarshan.- after Star TV and Zee tv came in 1992, Indian people hungry for entertainment turned to cable tv channels and I was one of them.
1. Malgudi days
2. Wagle ki duniya
3. Mr. Yogi
4. Stone Boy
5. The World This Week
6. Giant Robot
8. Didi's Comedy Show
9. Flop Show by Jaspal Bhatti
11. Mungerilal Ke Haseen Sapne
16. Siddharth basu's QUiz Shows
19. Yeh Jo hai Zindagi
22. Discovery of India
23. Gul Gulshan Gulfam
28. Janki Jasoos
29. Byomkesh Bakshi
32. Dekh bhai dekh
36. Sword of Tipu Sultan
39. Mickey and donald
40. Jungle Book
41. Jamie and the Magic Torch
42. Whats the good word
43. Kile ka rahasya
44. World of Sport
45. Sports Mag
46. Mujrim Haazir ho
48. aa Bail Mujhe maar
49. Ulta Pulta
50. Ados Pados
51. Vikram aur betaal
54. He Man
55. Sunday noon - Pradeshik feature film
57. gayab aaya
58. Tale spin
59. Duck tales